Monday 8 April 2013

Revisiting my past for a little more insight


Last night I found myself re-reading through an old diary from a period where I was going through a difficult time within the beginning of my professional career, in a hope to trigger memories and emotions that I went through. Here I found an entry, within week 6 of the professional graduate dance company 'Transitions Dance co', the title was DISASTER! I had suffered a torn aductor in a Horton based class, I was confused as I was unable to put weight on my left leg half way through class, but there was no pain... for about 15 mins at least! Adrenalyn was most definitely present, as it wasn't unitl I was sent directly to the physician that I had realised the possible extent of my injury. I don't want to sound dramatic, but whilst I was getting the diagnostic review, my career flashed before my eyes leaving me with fear and devestation as my mind jumped to so many conclusions.
I was in the most important stage of my career so far and the thought of having to sit out during the creation of the first piece we were to tour hit me hard like a train. I was lost and left with a huge amount of fear that my career could be on the way out before it actually hit anywhere near its peak! I lost all enthusiasm to even go to the studio as every minute I observed felt like a year that I was missing out on. The choreographer and the teachers at the time didn't have an awful lot of input or words of wisdom that I felt could be put to use...but then again, why in their view should they be bothered with one 'lame' dancer when they had 11 others to play with :-(
I found that keeping a diary in this time helped me address the grief of being physically held back. Looking back on it this was the only support I had (other than family of course). I tried hard to keep ideas and creativity flowing whilst carrying out my rehabilitaion fitness, trying tirelessly to keep my presence in the studio and creative process known in order to have some control on the future of my role in the performance. All I needed was a little acknowlegdement and maybe for the director to appreciate my tenasity towards the sad situation I found myself in. As this was not there Istruggled through, luckily it was only a recommended 6 week time out ( of which I could only bear 3 before graually imposing myself  back 'in' the space) but it did get me thinking of the future career and the potenial factors that can add up to termination/retiremant of performance and the inevitable 'real world and real jobs' where my identity would most definitely have to take on a different face.
The emotional impact having an injury has on a dancer, psychologically, is immense. That with the added fear of 'another career', finacial hardship, loss of identity, to name a few got me to thinking about support systems that could be available for dancers during the perfroming career and those who are reaching the end, leading to a directional transition.

I hope to discover possible support systems for dancers within the UK, and identify what they offer to company dancers and freelance dance artists. What organisations are out there that can help dancers come face to face with the transition they face, and give the helping hand/words to make the circumstantial move (or transition of choice) easier to bear?


...So within more of my scribbles in a later diary (funnily enough when this particular injury raised its ugly head once more) was a name of a journalist and article that I must have read. Not sure as to why I had noted it down I searched archives and the internet hoping that it would offer extra input in to my investigation. I came across it a few weeks ago.

''Dont give up the day job- how artists make a living''

As I am thinking of taking a different route in to my line of inquiry I guess it is not as directly linked anymore, yet it illustrates that 'financial-passion-professional development' balance is a major factor for most artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment