Wednesday 10 April 2013

Reviews of tasks 4...question development

Before I publish the continuing findings within module two I thought best to recapp and touch base with my blog ensuring I keep my reflections up to date on here too.

I originally created a set of questions that were aimed at looking into how people are to make the initial move in to the career transition from performer to teacher, with certain reference to financial difficulties.( blog- Initial export of ideas and questions) I have since realised that as this could be a rather specific/restrictive look of the 'transitional professional' (and somewhat biased as it was what I am currently experiencing within my own practice) I have decided to broaden the investigation. I am to aim my surveys to not just individuals who are in the bracket of 'dancer/performer to teachers', but to 'dancer/performer to general career change'.
Also, after further thought, I would like to discover what possible support systems/organisations that are out there whos intention and purpose is to be at the dancers disposal for help with their change of career paths. I know that it is something that is worth looking into as there are lots issues (psychological, physical, educational and financial) that are invaluable areas needing supporting, thus paramount to ease the transitions.
Hopefully I can identify how some dancers may have already benefited from such organisations, and their experiences post transition. My aim is to accumulate information that I can cross refernece in the reults section of the inquiry and discover how these career transitions support companies help and focus their advice...and if at all if there is a gap in the market, where there are ways to offer improved services to the dancing community as a whole.

I think the questions I am to develop will look further in to
  1. What main reason initiated the transition?
  2. Was there time for pre transitional preparation.? (looking at the timeline/age of the dancer).
  3. What was the length of time taken to become adjusted, whether it be pre-during-post transition
  4. Is the individual aware of any support that is offered (either within employment or as an organisation not directly related to the company that can aid freelance workers too?)
  5. Has the individual recieved support, on what level was this and in what area, from where?
  6. What are their thoughts, could there be more available...is what is out there sufficient in their experience?
  7. Maybe look into questionning the founders or advisors in such companies to take another perspective on their work and how they facilitate such bands of support.
As I am not too sure what is available I have taken into looking into this further. I have identified a few services online, yet I wish to discover more what is available in the UK

My original ideas have lead me to look into the support systems, so are still useful questions that I aim to develop with my new directions in mind.
I do hope that for some of you, this has sparked interest and i look forward to communicating along this train of thought in the SIGs.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hayley hope you are well?

    I have read your blog and think your idea to expand on your idea for your professional inquiry is a good one. I have answered a few questions which I found relevant to my own experiences below:

    1) I moved from dancer into teacher due to the following reasons;
    A talent in teaching
    A passion for working with children
    More appealing working hours
    Job security

    4) Support from courses / organisation / other professionals in education

    6) Dance in education is taking another hit after the Government changes to the curriculum and how it rates the success of a school (performing arts is not included in this standardisation). Yet creativity broadens children's independence in learning and enables them to think for themselves and to explore their own ideas and preferences, so I think dance should be more widely encouraged in education.

    I hope this is helpful, and will be more than happy to complete a full survey.

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Hayley,

    I think it's brilliant that you've expanded your idea for your inquiry, I think you're going to get a lot more feedback from opening it up. I'm looking forward to reading your upcoming results!

    JP xxx

    ReplyDelete